Plantation Island Resort’s 50th Birthday Party will be held on the 8th of November 2019. To celebrate, we are offering return guests of the Resort a 50% discount on room rate to attend “Celebration Week” which is from 7th to 14th November 2019. The celebration will include fun activities for Plantation guests such as markets, entertainment, activities for the family, Fijian history education and much more!
Plantation Island Resort is nestled on the second largest island in the Mamanuca group, Malolo Lailai Island. Here is a brief history of our wonderful Resort:
- 1872 – The Nadroga Chief Ratu Kini sold the uninhabited island to John Thomson for planting cotton.
- 1876 – Thomson died and the island was sold to the American Louis Armstrong, who died bankrupt and the island fell to a mortgage agency.
- 1891 – They sold the island to James Borron who owned several plantations throughout Fiji and leased Malolo Lailai Island to a Chinese family for 70 years to plant coconut palms and harvest copra.
- 1960’s – the island was bought by Richard Smith, Reginald Raffe and Sir Ian Macfarlane.
- 1969 – Reg Raffe & Dick Smith built 10 Bures and a restaurant before opening Plantation Village Resort.
- 1970’s, the three gentlemen decided to part ways and individually manage their portion of Malolo Lailai island. An airstrip was built which ran as a boundary between what is now Plantation Island Resort and Musket Cove Resort.
- 1977 – the name of the Resort changed from Plantation Village Resort to Plantation Island Resort and Reg Raffe started building the Hotel Block (also called the 100 block).
- 2015 – Plantation Island Resort was at its largest with 205 rooms, 3 restaurants, 3 pools and a 9-hole golf course. In October 2015, the beloved Hotel Block was demolished for safety reasons and was replaced by a white sand beach area including a volleyball court.
- 2016 – Ananda’s Restaurant was closed indefinitely leaving 2 restaurants and 165 rooms at the Resort.
- 2017 – Plantation Island Resort underwent an extensive beach improvement project to enhance the north facing beach of the Resort and create an all tide swimming area for guests
- 2019 – New Arrivals Bure, Restaurant, Pool, Bar and 40 new Hotel Rooms (to replace the old 100 block) built at the Resort
Memories Over the Years
Follow the festivities on the Plantation Island Resort Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and LinkedIn pages using the #plantationturns50 hashtag.
Entries now closed!
All entries to the competition are now closed, we will be announcing 2 winners per week from 17th May 2019 until our 50th Birthday party on 8th November 2019.
We are giving away 50 free holidays!
Yes, you read that right, 50 free holidays. All you have to do to enter this competition is click on the below link and enter your details:
Competition closes on the 17th of May 2019, we will be announcing 2 winners per week from 17th May 2019 until our 50th Birthday party on 8th November 2019. Share with your friends and family so that everyone has a chance to win
Steering Committee’s Decided for the Celebration
Plantation Island Resort hosted its second 50th celebration meeting to elect committee member’s who will be responsible for carrying out a week-long event in November. The committee members will orchestrate the week-long activities, oversee the entire event and planning process.
Join in the buzz and help us celebrate by sharing the news with your social media audiences!
Tag your posts with #plantationturns50 and have your post seen by our global social media community.
Plantation Island Resort’s – 50th Anniversary
Plantation Island Resort has been inspiring travel for 50 years and as 2019 will mark the date for this milestone anniversary we are pleased to share with you some exciting initiatives planned for the year.
To celebrate Plantation Island Resort’s 50th anniversary, we will be offering a 50% discount on room rates for all returnees that stay during Celebration Week, which is 7-14 November 2019. Guest’s travel dates must fall on the 50th Birthday Party, on the 8th November 2019.